Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Need A Scorecard...


The last 30 days have been a whirlwind of death. Maybe it's just getting older that one notices the passing of so many. Before my Dad's passing, he told me that the worst thing about being old is that everyone you knew is gone. He quit going to funerals two years before his own death. There were just too many to attend. The famous get the press when they die and it seems that lately, each day reveals that yet another of them has moved beyond the veil.

Michael Jackson's passing came while we were in Maine. The reactions in the house were as varied as the general population, I'm sure. The golden agers couldn't believe some in our party actually were shocked. One in our group basically said that they were glad the pervert was gone. The balance, however, agreed that despite his personal life, someone who changed music forever died prematurely. My personal view was that I was shocked, due to his age, but not so much due to his rocky life.

When I was baby-booming through my adult life, I first thought when hearing the Jackson Five, and specifically Michael Jackson perform, that here was just another kid with a decent voice. I wasn't the least bit interested in bubble gum music, like the genre that produced the Osmond Brothers. Over time, though, it became apparent that this kid wasn't just another Osmond. As he went out on his own, matured (a little) as an artist, it was hard to dispute that he had talent. Not a fan of choreography, I had to admit that he had a gift of movement that astounded even his detractors. His video pieces transformed the music video world. Eventually, his music captured the attention of the most diverse group of fans, not only in America, but around the world. I even found myself, mockingly of course, ahem, enjoying some of his work. The kid was truly a one-of-a-kind phenomenon.

Which brings me to my point. The one thing that irks me the most about famous people is that we have a culture that idolizes those with artistic talent to the point that it becomes a cult of adoration. My opinion is that we should take the artistic creation of an actor, musician or sculptor on its own merit, forgetting about the artist's private life. I truly don't care what their political views are, or what a mess they make of their personal lives. I try to weigh their artistic creation on its own. But I must confess that having said that, I'm a hypocrite. When Brad Pitt moved into New Orleans (my wife's hometown) and began a project to rebuild part of the city, I became a fan of his. Using one's fame to promote something positive, to me, is the one exception to the rule - if you're going to admire a famous person outside of their body of work - look to the good that they do with that power.

No comments: